닫기

MEMBERS

• HOME
  • MEMBERS
  • Speaker
  • Speeches
CLOSE

Speeches

Speech by Speaker Park at the opening ceremony of the 21st National Assembly, July 16, 2020

• Aug 12, 2020
Speech by Speaker Park at the opening ceremony of the 21st National Assembly, July 16, 2020

Let’s make the people’s National Assembly together

My Fellow Koreans,
Fellow colleagues in the National Assembly,
Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun,
Chairman of the Board of Audit and Inspection Choe Jae-hyeong,
And distinguished guests,

The 21st National Assembly is holding an overdue opening ceremony today. I cannot be more regretful to the people about our delayed opening in the midst of public health and economic crises. Though we are late, going forward we should do our best to perform our legislative duties in order to regain the people’s confidence.

I took on the role of National Assembly Speaker during grave times. I feel a strong sense of responsibility. I once again pledge to dedicate myself, as Speaker, to making the country into one that deserves to be called a country, and the National Assembly into one that deserves to be called a National Assembly, together with all 300 Members of the National Assembly.

The entire world is now experiencing a period of unprecedented chaos. These are turbulent times.

People around the globe are witnessing fundamental changes to their way of life. “Contact-free” has become a new norm which, paradoxically, has swiftly ushered in a “hyper-connected” era. In this time of uncertainty, securing crisis management capabilities has become the highest priority for all countries. The meaning of a country’s existence and its value are being viewed from a new perspective. The entire world is witnessing the beginning of a colossal transition in the history of civilization.

Think about the gravity of these crises, and how desperate our people might be. This is a critical moment. The people are calling on the National Assembly to come up with fundamental innovations to safeguard them and their lives, and develop a vision for the nation. We must stay cool-headed and face reality; we must be practical, seeking truth from facts.

Just the way the plague opened the way to the Renaissance period, COVID-19 will change the world order. An early end to the pandemic, overcoming the economic crisis, restoring trust between South and North Korea, building a new system even to the extent of national reform: all of these are important tasks we urgently need to confront.

Fellow Koreans, and National Assembly Members,

The people are giving the 21st National Assembly clear orders: to forge a National Assembly that places top priority on people’s livelihoods and opens up the country’s future; to abolish familiar yet undesirable practices and realize a working National Assembly.

The 21st National Assembly has the obligation to follow these solemn orders from the people. We should be afraid of history and think only of the people. We should bear in mind the motto, ‘People’s National Assembly that Opens up the Nation’s Tomorrow’, adopting it as our inner compass.

First, the 21st National Assembly must protect the people.
We must serve as a reliable parliament that safeguards people’s lives and livelihoods from the COVID-19 pandemic. The National Assembly and the government are the two bodies that must steer together the nation through these crises. We are the two wheels of a wagon that should lead the nation toward its vision for the future. We should swiftly pass through the crisis we are facing, while steadfastly adhering to democratic procedures.

Second, the 21st National Assembly must stand by the people.
We must operate ‘year-round’ sessions. In order for the people to feel safe and secure, the National Assembly should hold sessions year-round, working day and night. Beyond the working Assembly, we must also lay the foundation for a National Assembly that works ‘well.’
The National Assembly must regain the public’s confidence in us. Without their confidence, we cannot do anything. To earn it, we must endeavor to forge a National Assembly where common sense and rationality prevail.

Third, the 21st National Assembly must open up the future for the people.
The world has reached a new turning point in the history of civilization. At least to ensure our survival in the coming era, significant innovation is needed, to the extent of national transformation. We should be presenting viable visions for the country’s sustainable development.

We should be presenting a sustainable national development strategy that would extend beyond the five-year term of the administration. The strategy should include solutions to the falling birth rate and the aging population, to the widening income gap, and to bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula. When a country has a parliament that suggests visions for the future by means of legislation, the country is called an advanced, democratic country. That is the direction we should head toward.

The 21st National Assembly must become a melting pot for the country.
A melting pot where different ideas from the people come together. Our first step toward that goal should be communication. Communication creates a bond of empathy, and a bond of empathy can lead to compromise. And compromise is the shortcut to national unity. The key here is communication. We must keep in mind that everything begins and ends with communication.

My fellow Assembly Members,

The people of this nation have demonstrated great potential throughout its history. Each time we faced a crisis, we mustered our strength and wisdom to overcome it. While coping with the coronavirus pandemic, we impressed the world with our high level of civic awareness and democratic competence.

The so-called “K-quarantine” has already become a global standard. From BTS and other K-pop stars, to the movie Parasite, and now to K-quarantine, the Republic of Korea is now soaring above the “Made in Korea” brand to become a new global standard, in fields as diverse as medical services and culture.

Now it is the National Assembly’s turn. When the National Assembly acts first to change, the public’s perception of it will change. The Republic of Korea was the world’s first to hold a nationwide election during the COVID-19 pandemic. The people of this country successfully defended parliamentary democracy in the midst of a crisis. The National Assembly will develop our democracy that the people safeguarded into a new global standard. Let’s bring on “K-democracy.”

Each of us should have a sense of responsibility for our vocation, conscious that each of us is an independent, constitutional body. I hope that the 21st National Assembly become a place of solidarity among diverse values and different policies. Let’s shape a National Assembly that debates fiercely and resolves responsibly.

Let’s create a National Assembly that safeguards the people and their lives, and proactively responds to the rapidly changing world order. The livelihoods of ordinary people are now under serious threat. We must bear the burdens pressing down on the people, lightening the weight upon their lives.

As such, I request that the ruling and opposition parties sit at the negotiating table together to establish a special committee on economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. We need to pave the way for the country to emerge as a global powerhouse in culture and public health, surpassing the status of a manufacturing power.

We can no longer defer the establishment of ethical standards within the National Assembly. That will be the only way we can restore the people’s confidence in us. Let’s set in place innovative measures to impose stronger ethical responsibilities on ourselves. I will also be working to introduce new means by which Assembly Members who are truly working hard can be easily recognized.

At the same time, we need to improve the existing rules and systems to achieve a National Assembly that works well. We also need to hasten our efforts to achieve balanced development across the country, such as by relocating the National Assembly to Sejong City.

Let’s create a National Assembly that contributes to bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula. We need to find a way to break through the strained inter-Korean relationship. I will also be vigorously supporting your diplomatic activities so that we can earn strong support from the international community for bringing peace and prosperity to the Korean Peninsula.

The 21st Assembly has set the people and the national interests as its core principles. Only when the National Assembly changes can the lives of the people change.

I, as the National Assembly Speaker, will be the first to change. Beyond just mediating and arbitrating, I will also do whatever I can do to forge a National Assembly that prepares for and lead the nation to the future. Let’s build a National Assembly that proactively prepares for the Fourth Industrial Revolution and lays the legislative and institutional foundations for it.

Fellow Assembly Members,

Please hold fast to the principle of “Country first, party next.” Our priority must be the people, national interests, and the National Assembly. Your political party and constituency should come next.

Politics pivots around the National Assembly.

I hope that four years from now, when we complete our term, the people would say that the 21st National Assembly marked a milestone for a National Assembly that opens up the nation’s future, a National Assembly of the people. And I am confident that we can achieve that. We must achieve that. Because that is what the people are ordering us to do. Let’s take bold steps toward achieving that goal.

Thank you.
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions