• MEMBERS
  • Speaker
  • Speeches
CLOSE

Speeches

New Year’s Message by the Speaker

• Jan 11, 2021
Politics to serve people’s livelihoods, integration, peace and security

My fellow Koreans, a new year has arrived.
I wish a year full of hope and happiness for all of us.

I first would like to convey deep condolences to each and every one of our people who are going through times of pain and suffering following the disastrous COVID-19 pandemic.

There are so many things that were once again called into focus as we stand in the middle of this dark tunnel: that the little things we took for granted are much missed, and that tedious daily routine lives were actually days of grace in our lives.

In this new year, the National Assembly will do its best to bring back a common yet treasured everyday life to our people before long.

We will bring forward the days when family and friends can get together to eat and walk around the neighborhood without face masks, and when children can joyfully play in the playground.

To make it a reality, politics has to move away from conflicts and confrontations. We politicians will have to build a vision and practice it for social cohesion and better lives for the people. We have to engage in intense debates and make responsible decisions. We should move away from acting as a faction of like-minded people that denounces other groups with different ideas; rather, we should harmonize without being an echo.

We have to look beyond mere partisan interests and find our own roles in people’s livelihoods, integration, peace and security.

Koreans have a history of overcoming adversities and building one of the top 10 strongest economies in the world. We have to rise over the hardships and take steps that will leave footsteps that we can take pride in.

The National Assembly will stand ready to improve the quality of life for our people and pave the way for our nation’s future development. Late last year, the Mid-to-Long Term National Agenda Committee was launched under the Speaker’s Office. The committee will garner wisdom and refine ideas to make a report before the people.

I wish good health and bountiful blessings for everyone. Happy new year!
Thank you.
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions