• HOME
  • MEMBERS
  • Speaker
  • Speeches
CLOSE

Speeches

Speaker’s remarks at plenary meeting on June 15

• Jun 19, 2020
I would like to say a few words before we embark on our agenda.

I am filled with regret that we are forming some of the standing committees today while the ruling and the opposition parties have not reached agreement on the allocation of committee chairs.

As the Speaker, I have asked both sides to compromise, while delaying the opening of a plenary meeting twice, and I have spent these days in utter distress.

But I have come to conclude that if this is the way for our people and this is in the interest of our country, then we should dare to take it.

While the people suffer from a nationwide crisis, a week has already passed since the opening day of a new National Assembly as set by law. This is something that we must apologize to the people for.

I understand that each political party has its own story, but in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and strained inter-Korean relations, nothing can outweigh our duty to protect the people and their livelihoods.

Moreover, it did not seem that having more time would ensure an agreement between the ruling and the opposition.

At our last meeting, I said that the overarching principles for a Speaker in operating the National Assembly are the people and the national interest.

Today, guided by such criteria, I called upon the National Assembly to take immediate action on urgent issues.

We are now enveloped by pressing circumstances at home and abroad.

COVID-19 seemed to be subsiding, but it has bounced back and spread across the country again.
The economy has been severely hit.
It is the National Assembly’s responsibility to protect the citizens, who are profoundly worried about their jobs and livelihoods.

We must pass the supplementary budget quickly.
The situation is urgent, as the safety of the people and our economy are verging on a crisis.

The South and North Korea relationship is deteriorating again.

Amid these crises, the National Assembly must form and convene standing committees immediately to discuss pressing issues.

We cannot let the National Assembly remain idle any longer.
The National Assembly must not stand apart from the people.

And the people would never let us waste our time over which party takes how many committee chairs.
The people are sternly calling on the government and the parliament to put our heads together to come up with effective countermeasures to the national disaster.

Allow me to also say a few words about the Legislation and Judiciary Committee.
As National Assembly Speaker, I have repeatedly and strongly requested that the committee’s practice of abusing its authority to review the structure and wording of bills should be corrected institutionally.
The ruling Democratic Party of Korea promised to do so. I ask for swift action on that.

I also ask that a statutory rule be put in place on the allocation of committee chairs among political parties so we do not face a parliamentary impasse each time a new Assembly gets under way.
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions