• MEMBERS
  • Speaker
  • Speeches
CLOSE

Speeches

New Year’s Message by the Speaker

• Jan 04, 2019
Fellow Koreans,

The year 2019 has dawned. It is the year of the Golden Pig, which symbolizes wealth and fortune. I hope that everyone’s life will be full of happiness.

For the Republic of Korea, 2019 has a special and vital meaning: It marks the centennial of the establishment of the ROK’s Provisional Government and Provisional Legislature. This should be a landmark year, when we tie up the loose ends from the past century filled with adversities, hardships, as well as glories, and embark on a new history.

Last year, we set out on a courageous journey toward ‘peace on the Korean Peninsula.’ The world has been watching the miraculous changes occurring here. Now, in 2019, we will be standing at an important crossroads of denuclearizing North Korea and bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula.

How we spend the coming year will determine whether our economy for the people will succeed or fail in the face of the tidal wave of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The global economy is evolving at an incredible speed. This year we are facing a life-or-death situation, where even a brief standstill will cause us to lag behind other countries by decades. It is also the last year for the 20th National Assembly to reform our politics through constitutional amendment, electoral system reform, and so forth.

Fellow citizens,

The year 2019 is truly a watershed for us; it will be a key turning point in the history of the Republic of Korea. Everyone should commit themselves, with all of their hearts, to making this country achieve a new leap forward into the next hundred years.

Let us begin a new era for the Republic of Korea to take off as a united society, to the world, and to the future, on the basis of a peaceful Korean Peninsula, cooperative governance, and trust.

I send all of you my best wishes for your health and success. Happy New Year.

January 1, 2019

National Assembly Speaker Moon Hee-sang
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions