닫기

MEMBERS

• HOME
  • MEMBERS
  • Speaker
  • Speeches
CLOSE

Speeches

Speech by the Speaker at the 69th Anniversary of the opening of the National Assembly

• Jun 05, 2017
Good morning,

I’d like to extend my gratitude to Chairman Choo Mi-ae and Floor Leader Woo Won-shik of the Minjoo Party of Korea, acting Chairman Chung Woo-taik of the Liberty Korea Party, Emergency Committee Chairman Park Joo-sun and Floor Leader Kim Dong-cheol of the People’s Party, acting Chairman Joo Ho-young of the Bareun Party, and Chairman Sim Sang-jeung and Floor Leader Roh Hoe-chan of the Justice Party, for joining us today despite your busy schedules as we celebrate the 69th anniversary of the opening of the National Assembly.

I also want to take a moment to thank Secretary General Woo Yoon-keun and all the staff of the National Assembly Secretariat, who have done such a wonderful job assisting the 20th National Assembly over the past year.

Today means a lot to us as it marks 69 years since the National Assembly was founded.

Before I came here, I took out and re-read the opening speech that I delivered to you and the Korean people one year ago right here in the plenary chamber during the opening ceremony of the 20th National Assembly.

I read it again to look back on myself, to see whether I have fully committed myself to communicating with the people, whether I have done well in governing in a non-partisan manner through dialogue and compromise.

One year ago, I promised that in order to overcome the various challenges facing this country, I would shape a National Assembly that stands at the forefront and encourages the people.

I promised that the National Assembly would assume the role required to tackle a variety of crises threatening us at home and abroad, such as the escalating tension on the Korean Peninsula, volatile situations in Northeast Asia, a persisting economic slowdown without job creation, a low birthrate and an aging population, youth unemployment with no end in sight, deepening social division, and conflicts among the generations.

By doing so, I proposed to bring laughter back to the people again.

Our slogan, “A National Assembly that encourages the people,” is the outcome of such serious deliberation.

In hindsight, we experienced a number of difficulties over the past year. But at the same time, I believe, we have achieved a certain measure of accomplishment thanks to your cooperation and understanding.

The anti-privilege movement among National Assembly Members, and the parliament’s direct employment of cleaning staff who used to be subcontracted, were two of our best achievements from the perspective of the public.

In addition, the ruling and opposition parties came together to pass the 2017 budget bill before the statutory deadline, and put an end to the dispute over the daycare subsidy budget, marking an exemplary case of dialogue and compromise.

That may not be sufficient, but in a certain sense, I can say that the 20th National Assembly has achieved considerable accomplishments.

Still, the undeniable reality is that we have a long road ahead of us, we are still not good enough, and we fall short of people’s expectations in many ways.

That is why we should spend the 69th anniversary of the National Assembly reflecting on ourselves, pulling up our socks again.

My fellow Assembly Members and staff members,

The people’s expectations of the new administration have been growing rapidly since its inauguration, but the reality facing this nation is all too harsh.

It was a relief to see the new administration swiftly send special envoys to the United States, China, Japan and Russia in an effort to ease the strained relations with them, but a lingering sense of insecurity remains.

At home, the sources of serious conflicts that can harm national integration - such as youth unemployment, a low birthrate and aging population, social divisions, and inter-generational conflicts – remain unsolved.

As speaker of the National Assembly, I pledge to do everything I can do, in the remaining year of my term, to promote non-partisan governance. And now I’d like to suggest the direction that I believe the National Assembly should move in.

First, let’s remain faithful to our principle of a “National Assembly that encourages the people.”

This principle can be embodied in a National Assembly that focuses on the livelihoods of the people.

The fundamental duty of politics is to provide the people with the solutions that better their lives.

More than anything else, the National Assembly needs to step forward to create jobs for young Koreans.

The unemployment rate among youth reached 11.3 percent in the first quarter of this year, 3 times as high as among other age groups.

It is a responsibility assigned to all of us in politics to give hope to the young people who are drifting along with anxious looks on their faces because they don’t have jobs.

We must thoroughly review the new administration’s job policy, which aims to create 810,000 new jobs, mainly in the public sector, and support it to the best of our abilities, while seeking alternatives when problems arise.

At the same time, the National Assembly should work proactively against threats to the social structure, including the growing income disparity, the low birthrate and aging population, and the problem of irregular workers.

We need to hold in-depth discussions on household debt, currently at 1,360 trillion won, and come up with viable solutions.

Second, let’s make a National Assembly that works hard.

Over the past year of the 20th National Assembly, more than 6,780 legislative bills were proposed, and of them 1,312 were put to a vote in the plenary.

In terms of numbers, it seems encouraging, because the number of bills proposed and voted on soared by 40 percent and 52 percent respectively, compared with the same period in the 19th National Assembly.

The proportion of bills voted on of total proposed bills also went up, from 17.6 percent in the 19th National Assembly to 19.2 percent now.

These figures show that the 20th National Assembly is fully performing its role as a “working parliament.”

But we cannot stop there.

Let’s get more involved in the activities of Members’ study groups in order to go beyond the mere quantitative increases and shape legislation that helps the people in practical ways.

Please muster all of your capabilities so that we can pass pending bills, whether controversial or not, to meet the expectations of the people.

Let’s muster our collective wisdom so that we can hold a referendum on a Constitutional amendment when local elections are held next year. Amending the Constitution is a demonstration of our commitment to following the will of the people and meeting the needs of the times, regardless of each party’s identity or interests.

We also need to make reasonable adjustments to governmental and parliamentary functions as a means of breaking up presidential powers, for example, by enacting a law on regular parliamentary hearings; converting the Special Committee on Budget and Accounts to a standing committee; transferring the Board of Audit and Inspection’s auditing function to the National Assembly; and implementing a system of checking government-drafted enforcement ordinances.

Third, let’s continue making efforts to develop non-partisan governance in the National Assembly.

As we all know, the 20th National Assembly is in the midst of an era that desperately calls out for the communication and coalition governance, as the multi-party system solidifies.

Forging a political culture that acknowledges differences by means of dialogue and compromise is what the political community of this country should place the utmost value on. In a bid to implant a political culture of dialogue and compromise within the multi-party paradigm, the National Assembly has begun to hold a regular meeting among the floor leaders of negotiating groups every Monday.

I believe that meeting and speaking with each other frequently will lead us toward coalition governance. And coalition governance will lead us to help people live more comfortably.

Fourth, the National Assembly should assume its own role in preparing for the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

The Fourth Industrial Revolution, which will create high added value by blending conventional manufacturing businesses with the information and communications sectors, has become an unstoppable wave.

In the sense that it is a technological revolution that humankind has never before experienced and will transform our way our life, the National Assembly needs to act proactively.

We need to focus on tearing down any barriers that stand in the way of the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

My fellow Members and staffers,

All of us standing here are assigned the responsibility of creating a new history.

I ask for your passion and devotion in your work in order to help the people rise up from the turmoil of the past several months, get back to their daily lives, and take pride in the fact that they are citizens of the Republic of Korea.

I ask you once again to commit your heart and passion toward building a National Assembly that encourages the people, trying to grasp what they long for.

As the National Assembly Speaker, I will put forth my utmost efforts as well to help you complete your work.

Thank you.
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions