• Speeches
CLOSE

Speeches

Acceptance speech by Speaker Chung Sye-kyun

• Jun 16, 2016
[Full text of the Speaker’s acceptance speech]

Fellow Koreans,
Members of the National Assembly,

First, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to my fellow Assembly Members for selecting me as your speaker for the first half of the 20th National Assembly.

As I stand here at the speaker’s seat,
I feel a profound sense of responsibility rather than much joy at being elected Speaker.

I understand that during the 20th National Assembly, shaped by the will of the people into a multi-party parliament where the opposition holds more seats than the ruling party, I have inherited a solemn duty. Now, I will do my best to fulfill this duty to build a National Assembly that can encourage the Korean people.

Today we are faced with many urgent tasks.

We must improve the quality of life of the people.
We must develop a vision for the future of the Republic of Korea.
We must rebuild systems of government that have been stuck in a rut.
We must restore our fading community spirit.
We must ease growing economic polarization while maintaining fairness in markets.
We must ensure that our social safety net works well enough to help everyone lead a dignified life.
We can neglect none of these.

But more than anything, we must place a heavier responsibility on politics, and restore people’s confidence in politics.

Fellow Koreans, and Members of the National Assembly,

As speaker for the first half of the 20th National Assembly, I promise three things.

These are not just my personal words, but my vision for a National Assembly I intend to forge together with my fellow Assembly Members.

First, I will shape a National Assembly that realizes the spirit of the Constitution of the Republic of Korea.

The National Assembly is not just a branch of government.

It is a representative body with the greatest democratic legitimacy of the three branches.

That is because each of the 300 Assembly Members is a constitutional institution of his or her own to which the people have entrusted authority.

As the representative body that realizes the people’s sovereignty, we will establish a clear role and stance for the National Assembly, and fulfill the spirit of the Constitution.

Just as the government pursues a “responsible government,” so must the National Assembly now pursue “responsible parliament.”

We cannot remain content in our current role of merely checking and monitoring the government. We must go a step further to exert our authority as a legitimate body of government, while building a proper governance model through which we accept the responsibilities that come with authority.

Second, I will create a National Assembly that anticipates the future in order to be prepared for the future.

Regrettably, our country’s condition today can no longer assure us that the Republic of Korea is a land of opportunity and possibilities.

In the face of crises of national security, national competitiveness, economic polarization, and reaching a “demographic cliff,” many worry whether this country is headed in the right direction.

As one of the key players in “responsible politics,” both in name and fact, the National Assembly will work proactively to tackle urgent economic issues and looming structural problems, leading the nation’s efforts to overcome such crises.

At the same time, we will forge a parliament that spearheads professional studies of mid- to long-term national strategic policy, and propose visions for the future, by analyzing and benchmarking proven parliamentary models in other countries.

Lastly, I will forge a National Assembly that encourages the people.

It is true that the National Assembly has been denounced by the public, who brand the National Assembly not as an arbitrator but as a dispute-maker.

Parliament is where we bring together the voices and interests of all segments of society, find common ground, and shape them into a consensus. In the process, disputes and debate among parties can become quite heated, illuminating the negative aspects more than the positive values.

As speaker, I will manage such disputes and embrace my role as a catalyst for social unification, to help the National Assembly restore the public’s confidence and become a parliament that strengthens — rather than burdens — the people.

Fellow Koreans, and Assembly Members,

A single step by ten people outdoes ten steps by one person. It is evident that I cannot accomplish the vision I have described on my own.

I ask all of you to share your strength and wisdom to help develop a more productive, more proactive National Assembly.

Thank you.

June 9, 2016
National Assembly Speaker Chung Sye-kyun
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions