CLOSE

Speeches

Remarks by the Speaker at his inaugural press conference

• Jun 24, 2016
Main Reception Room

10:00 A.M.

Members of the National Assembly press corps,
It is my pleasure to meet you all.

This is my first press conference since I was inaugurated as the speaker of the first half of the 20th National Assembly. I heard that many of you were looking forward to this so much. It has been delayed a bit, but I hope we can have many interesting talks today.

As the first speaker of the 20th National Assembly, I feel a profound sense of responsibility rather than personal joy at being elected Speaker. I think that being Speaker at this moment of time gives me a different role and duty. Of course, Speaker of the National Assembly is a honorable post, but at the same time, the person who takes that post should be the most diligent and hard-working one among the 300 Assembly Members. Just like a maestro who brings different sounds together to create a beautiful harmony, I will closely communicate with the other 299 Assemblymen to build a “responsible National Assembly.”

In the last general election, the people shaped the 20th National Assembly into a multi-party parliament where the opposition holds more seats than the ruling party. It was a brilliant choice that did not let any of the parties go ahead the others. I believe the will of the people expressed in the last election is calling on the National Assembly to steer politics back on track by means of concession and agreement, dialogue and compromise.

Ironically, this multi-party setup can be a good soil in which a true parliamentarism can flourish. And I think it is the responsibility of Speaker to make that happen.

From the Lee Myung-bak administration to the Park Geun-hye administration, the Korean society has been losing vitality. By contrast, the signs of crisis have been increasing. In the face of crises of economy, employment, national security and democracy, and reaching a “demographic cliff,” we cannot talk about hope, stifled by this cold reality.

In my speech at the opening ceremony of the 20th National Assembly, I suggested three visions that the parliament must pursue: National Assembly that encourages the people, realizes the spirit of the Constitution, and prepares for the future.

I think there is only one thing the people want from us. That is a National Assembly that does not have partisan fights, and works for the people and the country. Now the National Assembly must become a parliament that strengthens—rather than burdens—the people. We will certainly help the Park administration when we have to. But we will say “no” to what is wrong as well. And the criterion for judging what is right or wrong must not be power, but the people. That is because an administration can fail, but a country must not.

I know that many in the press circle are paying great attention to the issue of Constitutional amendment. Debates on the amendment have remained in stalemate because we approached the issue only from the perspective of power. We need to abandon such narrow views while embracing changes occurred in our society over the past 30 years, in order to make a Constitutional amendment that can suggest the right vision for this country.

Many people agree that the Constitution needs to be amended. I believe that Constitutional amendment is not a subject of debate now, but a matter of will. The 20th National Assembly will make utmost efforts to put an end to this issue.

I have been talking only about grim things. Let me bring up a brighter and hopeful topic.
We have a group of employees in the National Assembly who are in charge of cleaning the buildings. They are contract employees, indirectly hired to the National Assembly through a service company. Our society has made various efforts to solve the problem of non-regular workers. But the National Assembly, the very one that is supposed to lead such efforts, has not settled its own problem. In the near future, we will find a way to directly hire them, and spearhead the move to alleviate the problem of non-regular employment in the public sector.

There is a saying, “If you want to go faster, go by yourself. And if you want to go far, go with your friends.” A leader is not a one who rushes forward by himself, but a one who looks ahead and goes with others. I will closely cooperate with the 299 Assembly Members to forge a National Assembly that can become a pride of our history. I will dedicate all of my political capabilities to making a National Assembly that can encourage the people.

Thank you.

June 15, 2016.
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions